Need Help Filing Back Tax Returns?

Posted on 13. Oct, 2011 by in Back Tax Returns, Back Taxes, Help Filing Back Taxes, IRS, Need to File Back Tax Returns

The roster of Americans with federal income tax debt continues to grow as the economy remains sluggish and job creation is stagnant.

It is troubling for anyone to encounter problems with the Internal Revenue Service that require some sort of tax relief or tax settlement.

IRS advises taxpayers not to just sit on the problem of income tax debt. To do nothing at all is the “worst” possible thing, the agency says.

What are your alternatives if you have accumulated income tax debt?

You should certainly be in contact with IRS to find out all the details and see what they suggest. A visit to an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center, if conveniently located, is advisable. However, you should be prepared for a relatively long wait before you can meet with someone face-to-face.

An alternative that is taken by many taxpayers is to seek the services of a tax professional, either a certified public accountant (CPA) or a tax attorney.  If you need help filing back returns, this is a good place to start.

If you are not familiar with the Internal Revenue Code or the workings of IRS, it is surely in your interest to carefully consider the option of professional assistance with your income tax debt issue.

In February 2011, IRS announced several new policies and programs designed to assist taxpayers in paying back taxes and avoid tax liens.

“We are making fundamental changes to our lien system and other collection tools that will help taxpayers and give them a fresh start,” said IRS Commissioner Douglas Shulman.

The IRS initiative features several important changes:

–    Increasing the dollar threshold when liens are issued.
–    Streamlining the road to lien withdrawals after paying a tax bill.
–    Withdrawing liens based upon a Direct Debit Installment Agreement.
–    Easing access to Installment Agreements.
–    Enhancing the Offer in Compromise program to make it more accessible.

However, it is not necessarily easy to navigate these rocky waters on your own, especially when the harbor you are seeking is freedom from personal income tax debt.  So if you need help filing back tax returns then you need to get started.

In fact, without professional assistance, you would almost have to take a crash course on Installment Agreements, the Offer in Compromise program, and Direct Debit Installment Agreements. What are they? How much will it cost you? What is the best way to go for your individual situation?

It is often easier to wind up with an income tax debt than it is to resolve that debt. A tax professional is likely your best choice for securing a fair and speedy resolution of the debt.

If you need help filing back tax returns we can help.  Our experienced team of CPAs and tax professionals know how to deal with IRS tax issues.  We will work on your behalf to settle your tax problem in your favor.

Your tax problem will certainly not go away on it’s own.  Call us now at 1-888-570-1033 for a FREE consultation.

Tags: , , ,

Comments are closed.